What Does Pinned Mean on TikTok?
Have you ever spotted a video marked with a red 'Pinned' label on a TikTok user's profile?
If so, you're probably asking yourself:
'What does pinned mean on TikTok?'
This clever little feature may not look like much, but it can instantly draw eyes onto your most important content. Think of pinned videos like putting a spotlight on the videos you want people to see first.
In this guide, we'll delve into the 'what', 'how', and 'why' of pinning videos on TikTok, complemented by real-life examples to spark ideas for your content strategy
- What is a Pinned TikTok video?
- How to pin a TikTok video?
- The benefits of pinning a TikTok video
- What type of TikTok content can you pin and why?
- Real life examples of TikToker influencers who pin their videos
What is a Pinned video on TikTok?
A pinned video is a TikTok video that the creator has featured at the top of their profile page. You'll know when a video is pinned because it’s displayed with a red 'Pinned' sign.
Let's see how it looks in action:
Content creators can pin up to any three videos, which are ordered chronologically (newest to oldest). However, if they only want to showcase one or two videos, they can do that too (as shown above).
How to Pin a Video on TikTok?
Ready to give 'pinning' a go for yourself? Here's how you can do it:
- Launch the TikTok app.
- Click on your profile on the bottom right corner.
- Tap the TikTok video you want to pin.
- Click on the three dotted icon on the bottom right hand side.
- Select 'Pin' from the list of options.
- Your newly pinned video should appear at the top of your profile.
- To unpin a pinned video, just repeat the above and select Unpin.
And that's all there is to it!
Remember that you can only pin your own videos, and not other people's content.
Why Should You Pin Videos on TikTok?
In many cases, people pin their most popular videos because it gives visitors a “taste” of their overall content. By pinning their best content, viewers are more likely to watch and explore the creators page.
Content creators also use the pinning feature to showcase all types of content. This can range from a recent Q&A they did, peak behind-the-scenes moments, or even a big announcement i.e a giveaway or collaboration with another influencer or brand.
For businesses, the pinned feature can be used to highlight their new deals, products and services. It's also great for product launches, giving potential consumers a glimpse of what they can expect from the brand.
Below are the primary benefits of pinning videos on TikTok:
- Immediate Visibility: Instantly draw visitors’ attention to the pinned video.
- Timely Updates: Allows creators to share recent content or announcements quickly and easily.
- Boosted Engagement: Helps to increase engagement with new viewers
- Highlights best content: Let’s creators highlight content they feel is they’re absolute best work.
- Extended Profile Visits: Encourages longer profile visits if viewers click to watch the other videos.
- Business Promotions: Great for businesses to sneak in new product and service deals.
What Type of TikTok Videos Should You Pin?
If you have months or years worth of videos, pinning the right one can be like picking needles in a haystack. Sure, choosing TikTok videos with the most likes or comments seems the obvious choice, but it's not the only way. It ultimately depends on your content type, audience, and the purpose of the pinned video.
Let's go through different type of videos that can be pinned on TikTok:
- Introductory videos: If a new viewer stumbles upon your profile, pinning a quick introduction video lets them instantly learn more about your channel. This can be incredibly beneficial for creators or businesses.
- Behind-the-scenes content: Occasionally adding behind-the-scenes content to your profile can help build relationships with your viewers. Showing some of your day-to-day activities, hobbies or interests helps to show your followers who you really are.
- Hashtag challenges: If you have an upcoming hashtag challenge or viral trend, it helps to feature that content to gain maximum exposure. Even if your viewers know who you are, they may not know about the challenge.
- Latest announcements: Is there an update or announcement you want to share with your community? This could be business related i.e you're expanding into a new market, promoting a giveaway, or something more personal i.e you've been accepted to a specific college.
- Popular content: Pinning your most popular videos lets you highlight content that’s already proven to be engaging. This helps attract new viewers, who will then be more likely to explore the rest of your content.
- New partnerships: TikTokers collaborate all the time, whether it'd be with another creator or brand. Pinning this content may help attract their followers to your own.
- Educational Content: If you routinely post informative or tutorial videos, you may want to pin your most latest or relevant video. For example, if the new Iphone came out and you’ve released a new tutorial, pinning it ensures your viewers can get the latest information.
- Testimonials and Reviews: Businesses rely on testimonials and glowing reviews to add social proof to their brand. Pinning your best or most recent reviews shows potential customers that your brand delivers on its promises.
- Interactive Content: Get people involved by pinning videos that ask questions, polls, and quizzes. This type of content encourages viewers to take part and follow your profile to stay up-to-date on results.
As you can see, the reasons to pin content on TikTok are endless! It just depends on your goals, but if you're unsure, simply pinning your most popular content is a great place to start.
Real-Life Examples of Pinned Videos on TikTok
Looking for some inspiration on how to effectively use the pinned video feature on TikTok?
Here are some real-life examples of top content creators and businesses that have taken advantage of pinned videos on TikTok.
- Sephora Announces their Upcoming Live Event
Sephora is a well-known beauty retailer with over 700k TikTok followers. Their first pinned video, as shown below, promotes their House of Beauty live event. It offers a teaser on what to expect if you show up.
2. Dr. Rubin, MD Answers a Subscriber’s Question
Dr. Rubin is a board certified Allergist Immunologist who routinely dispels myths about allergies on his channel. His pinned video is a Q&A session where he responds to a subscribers question about a cat allergy. The content is highly specific and educational, which is sure to draw in new followers (especially cat lovers!).
3. Richard Jefferson Explains the New NBA In-Season Tournament
The NBA has always taken an innovative and creative approach to how they do things. Their first ever NBA in-season tournament is no exception.
In their pinned video, former player Richard Jefferson explains what to expect from the new tournament and its rules. This type of content puts their new tournament front and centre, immediately creating a buzz to draw in viewers.
Hank Green Gives An Introduction to His Channel
Hank Green is a man of many talents - with an expansive YouTube and social media following shared with his brother. His TikTok videos are educational in nature, focusing on chemistry, physics and other science topics.
If you've stumbled upon one of his videos, you may not know who he is. That's why his pinned video introduces you to his channel. In one short video, you'll know whether or not his type of content suits you.
NYX Cosmetics Announces Free Lipstick Giveaway
NYX Cosmetics, a brand renowned for its cruelty-free and affordable makeup, recently added a pinned video to their page. Since giveaways come and go, it's easy to miss them - but the pinned video ensures that doesn’t happen.
Free giveaways do a few things - it exposes their products to new potential customers, increases brand loyalty among existing followers, and creates a buzz on social media platforms, driving more traffic to their profile.
Their pinned video features their dazzling lipstick colours and makes sure that people are aware of the giveaway before it's gone.
FIFA Pins Iconic Messi World Cup Moment
FIFA, the governing body of football worldwide, pinned a video that won't soon be forgotten anytime soon. In it, Lionel Messi, a legendary footballer in his own right, is hoisted by his teammates lifting the world cup trophy for Argentina.
This special moment is certainly reflected in its engagement - with over 43 million views and 3.1 million likes. This is just one example of how content creators can instantly capture someone's attention by pinning videos with high levels of engagement. When viewers see videos that resonated with the masses, they’re most likely to have a look themselves.
Savanah Moss’ “Exceptional Customer Service” Comedy Skit
Savanah Moss is a social media influencer, actor and model - she's also known to make funny sketches. On her TikTok profile, she pinned a comedy sketch about customer service that involves her servicing a milk drink to someone in their car.
At first glance, you'd think Savanah's TikTok videos are geared towards fashion and beauty. But her pinned video proves that she can do much more than that, and her charisma and wit will have you in stitches.
This pinned video does a few things. First, it shows her versatility as a content creator, highlighting that her talents extend beyond her striking appearance. Secondly, it serves as an icebreaker, giving new followers a chance to get to know Savanah in a different light.
Conclusion - Pinning Videos on TikTok is an Art Form
The purposes of Pinned TikTok videos go beyond showcasing a profile's best content. They also can highlight their newest content, inform viewers of upcoming events or campaigns, a way to ask for feedback, and so much more.
For many TikTok users, pinning videos is an art form in itself. It requires careful consideration of the type of video and its engagement level before it can be pinned.
No matter what you decide to pin on your profile – whether it's a comedic skit or a dance performance, you can be sure that it will capture people’s attention and keep them coming back for more!
Save TikTok Videos for Inspiration Using the MagicBrief Chrome Extension
If you're a digital advertiser, you'll know that creating compelling ads is no picnic.To ease the creative process, you can now save TikTok and other social media ads to your MagicBrief library for inspiration.
With the MagicBrief Chrome extension, you can easily curate trending TikTok ads from the TikTok Creative Center and create collections of them for later use. This way, you always have access to great content and will never run out of ideas!
You can also use our Storyboard and Brief tools to easily create stunning ads that will engage your viewers. Get started and get creative!