TikTok Ad Specs for 2024
TikTok is a breeding ground for creativity, delivering content that instantly satisfies and keeps us coming back. Short-form videos rule the TikTok landscape, with 18-34-year-olds comprising most of its users. If your business targets this generation, it's time to use the TikTok ads manager to leverage TikTok ads!
But before you go gung-ho with your TikTok ads, you must know which image and video ad formats are optimal. Choosing the right TikTok ad size ensures they look the part and perform to the best of their ability.
Optimal TikTok ad sizes and specs are always determined by TikTok ad type, which include:
- TikTok TopView
- TikTok In-Feed Ads
- Full Page Brand Takeover Ads
- TikTok Spark Ads
- TikTok Branded Hashtag Challenge
- Ad platforms outside of TikTok
Below we'll go through each TikTok ad type, exploring what they offer and what specs are optimal.
TikTok TopView Ad
Looking to show your ads the moment someone opens the app? Then, try TikTok TopView. This type of ad immediately appears in a user's 'For You' section, catering itself to their interests. As such, brands, digital marketers and influencers tend to gravitate towards this ad type; primarily for its maximum visibility.
TikTok Top View ads last up to 60 seconds, giving ample time to showcase a company’s products or services. It's also enough time to tell a compelling story, providing a more meaningful impression that gets those fingers clicking and those wallets opening!
TikTok Top View ad size and specs
Maximum video length: 60 seconds
Aspect ratio: 9:16, 1:1, or 16:9.
Resolution: ≥540*960px, ≥640*640px, or ≥960*540px.
File Type: .mov, .mp4, .mpeg, .3gp, or .avi
Max file size: 500MB
TikTok Top View Ad Recommendations
- Captivate viewers immediately with a strong hook.
- Incorporate high-quality visuals and sounds to help immerse your audience.
- Include a clear call-to-action (CTA) that matches your message i.e Download now wouldn't work if selling a product.
- Enable your auto-captions option to make your ad more inclusive.
- Don't overwhelm audiences with information if you don't have to.
TikTok In-Feed Ads
These are standard ads that will pop up as you scroll through your TikTok feed. In-feed ads target users based on their interests, behaviour and more. Like other TikTok ad types, users can interact with In-Feed Ads, watching, sharing and even purchasing products/services.
While In-Feeds don't appear as soon as users click on the app, it's definitely budget-friendly and the most cost-effective. Prices start at $10 per CPM 'Cost Per Mille', meaning you pay $10 for every thousand impressions. The more clicks your ad receives, the more views and conversions it will generate.
TikTok In-Feed Ads size and specs
Maximum video length: 60 seconds
Aspect ratio: 9:16, 1:1, or 16:9
TikTok video dimensions: ≥540*960px, ≥640*640px, or ≥960*540px.
Video ad format: .mov, .mp4, .mpeg, .3gp, or .avi
Tiktok file size: Max 500 MB
Ad description: 12-100
In-Feed Ad Recommendations
- Optimal duration for ad videos is 15 seconds long. Any longer and viewers will probably skip the ad altogether.
- Keep your creative messaging concise and straight to the point - you only get 15 seconds!
- Use engaging visuals, copy and a compelling headline to maximize engagement and clicks.
- Add a CTA that matches your message - don't mix them up!
Full Page Brand Takeover
The Full Page Brand Takeover ad literally takes over a person’s screen once TikTok is opened. The ad is also unavoidable, as they cannot be swiped away by users. Because of its enhanced visibility, they’re typically employed by the biggest industry players, helping to create brand awareness and recognition.
These types of ads either show a static ad display image, lasting 3 seconds long or a video ad that lasts up to 5 seconds. Although short, they're incredibly effective and can yield an enormous amount of conversions if done correctly. Ads typically include a clickable link to a business landing page or website.
The biggest drawback is the ads barriers to entry as it can be very expensive and exclusive. A brand takeover can guarantee a whopping five million impressions, but that will set you back $50,000 per day!
Full Page Brand Takeover Ad Size and Specs
- File Types for Images: JPG or PNG.
- File size: <50 KB
- Video length: 3-5 seconds
- File types for video: .mp4, .mov, .mpeg, .3gp, or .avi
- Recommended aspect ratios: 9:16, 1:1, or 16:9
Full Page Brand Takeover Ad Recommendations
- Keep things simple since ads only last a few seconds. You don't want to jam-pack too much information in those few seconds.
- Invest in high-quality visuals and sounds that will compel viewers to click on your CTA.
- Test your ad on cheaper types of ads like In-Feed and see how they perform.
- Ensure viewers can interact with your CTA and/or link.
TikTok Spark Ads
If you regularly post TikTok content, you would have seen Spark Ads everywhere. This ad format enables users to use their own TikTok videos or other content UGC (User-Generated Content) to create sponsored ads. For example, Starbucks often pays other content creators to feature their products in TikTok videos, driving users to their page.
Similar to In-Feed ads, they show up in the home feed. Their primary difference lies in the metrics they measure. Spark video ads have additional metrics such as anchor clicks, paid shares, music clicks, paid comments and more.
As Spark video ads come from organic content, they're generally more trusted by users and feel more authentic. This authenticity can make your brand more relatable, helping to better connect with your audience.
Spark Ads Sizes and Specs
- As ads are from organic TikTok videos, there are no restrictions like other types of ads.
- Hashtags, emojis and account tagging are allowed in Sparks Ads captions.
- The display name and copy will be identical to the organic content.
- Choose content creators whose organic content aligns with your brand's values.
- Encourage content creators to use branded hashtags and other hashtags relevant to your brand.
- Mix up your content - try new and creative camera angles, bold colours and even add humour or emotion.
- Experiment with emojis, music, GIFs and other features to make your ads more interesting.
- Reach out to content creators with loyal followings. They don't need to be the biggest influencers as smaller ones with highly engaged followings can prove to be more effective.
- Check content creator's UGC portfolios to better who they are and what type of content they produce i.e. travel, fashion, funny videos etc.
TikTok Branded Hashtag Challenge
Have you ever scrolled through your TikTok feed and saw content creators doing a specific task or challenge? These range from performing complicated dance routines to lip synching specific songs.
The concept is simple. Brands team up with content creators to create unique challenges that promote brands or services. If they go viral, you'll see a large number of people doing the same task. It also lets users create their own creative renditions, further amplifying your message across the TikTok universe.
Guess' #InMyDenim, for example, challenged users to take a selfie wearing their signature jeans. This resulted in 5,500+ user-generated videos and 10 million views throughout its video series.
Branded Hashtag Challenge Tiktok Size and Specs
Specs are typically the same as other popular ad types like In-Feed ads.
- Your hashtag should be easy to remember to increase user engagement.
- Try to avoid generic hashtags that aren’t memorable or interesting.
- Keep up with current trends and do a challenge relevant with that trend.
- Ensure your hashtag mentions in some capacity the brand you're promoting.
- Use clear instructions to ensure users wishing to do the challenge.
In-Feed Ads for Vigo and Helo
TikTok lets brands connect with new target markets by placing ads outside of their own platform. This gives them more flexibility in terms of audience targeting, format and reach. Brands who advertise on TikTok can now feature their ads on Vigo and Helo, reaching even more potential leads.
In-Feed Ads for Vigo and Helo Size and Specs
Video aspect ratio: 9:16, 1:1, or 16:9.
Vigo file types for videos: mp4, mov, mpeg or avi
Helo file types for videos: mp3, mov, mpeg, avi or gif
Recommended resolution: 720 x 1280px, 640 x 640px, or 1280 x 720px
File size and duration are identical to news feeds ads
- Localise your content by incorporating cultural references, their language, trends occurring in their region and local content creators.
- Collaborate with local social influencers that resonate with your target market.
- Invest in fantastic visuals, great copy and a clear to read CTAs
- Learn more about your localised audience - one territory may require a different approach to another.
So Which Ad Format Is Right for Your Brand?
In theory, any TikTok ad type can provide tremendous ROI for your brand. It all depends on your marketing strategy - who are you targeting, what type of engagement are you after and budget restraints.
Each ad format offers something unique, whether it'd be reaching the largest audience possible via a Brand Takeover Ad, or the creative freedom and authenticity offered by User Generated Content (UGC).
For large-scale campaigns that want to engage the widest possible audience, your best bet is In-Feed ads and a Brand Takeover Ad. Smaller businesses will naturally gravitate towards In-Feed ads but may consider Top-View or Branded Hashtag Challenges to stand out from the crowd.
When choosing the right ad format for your business, consider the following:
Target Audience - TikTok is dominated by younger generations, so if you're offering products out of their reach i.e high-end condominiums, your ads won't have the same impact.
Budget - Each ad format will force you to spend a different amount, so budget is a key consideration.
Marketing Goals - Do you want consumers to download your product guide to generate leads? Maybe you intend to drive traffic to a landing page to increase sales? Consider what metrics help measure successes and how TikTok ads will achieve them.
The Ad itself - Will a 15 second ad be adequate to fully inform viewers? What kind of visuals are best to draw eyes and encourage engagement? Use the MagicBrief Chrome extension to save competitor ads in our library for inspiration. You can then generate your own creative ideas to develop a more effective ad from our TikTok Ad Library.
Whichever ad format you prefer, ensure that it's backed up by a robust campaign strategy. Ads ultimately convert viewers into leads, resulting in more sales and greater ROI. So, research all components, including the target audience, budget and marketing goals before launching. This will ensure your brand maximises their presence on TikTok!